Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thailand in October

Toby teaching in the computer lab
Sawasdee Mc


Beach at Pattaya


View from my Condo




Students on a field trip to the Orchid Farm



Teaching with Mam




Our third quarter of the year began this week after the students had a two week holiday. My son is here with me and is working in the computer lab. He is living on campus and enjoying Chiang Mai. Toby even made it to the beach over the holiday. I was not so lucky. The weather here seems to be changing from the rainy season to dry beautiful weather. We were listening to a couple of the teacher talking about the weather. The teachers have been here for awhile and were talking about how cold it gets up here in the north of Thailand. It can be as cold as sixty degrees. That's a far cry from our Vermont winters. I have to say that I did miss fall in Vermont. Toby and I went up into the mountains to the holy temple. It was very beautiful to look down at the city and be on the mountain with the monks in their orange robes strolling around the temple and praying. Swimming in the pool is still a daily event for me. The water is still warm and the weather is still quite hot. Toby and I went to a birthday party over the weekend. It was a wonderful experience. A van was sent into the city to pick up ten of the foreign teachers and friends. We were then transported to the country and arrived at a large party with tables and chairs set out on the terrace. Neighbors, friends, and teachers attended a delicious buffet of Thai food and a special dish for the farang.After the dinner we were treated to music from the school village marching band. They were all dressed in northern Thai costumes. The children marched down the street playing music and once at the house turned to the crowd and played for us. The band ended with the birthday song. The evening was ended with the lighting of paper lanterns into the night sky. Blobs of light floated up into the sky until the fire burned out and the light disappeared. The ride back home was filled with songs and laughter from people representing five different countries. Mostly we sang old American songs. What a night! I hope school is going well for everyone. Feel free to keep in touch with me at Carolhinsdale@yahoo.com








View from on top of a mountain temple

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I lost your email!